Monday 30 November 2015

Christmas Traditions I Can't Be Without...

It is my favourite time of year and I've been excited since the 12 week mark. Now I only have 24 hours to go until it is socially acceptable to be beaming like the Angel on top of the Christmas tree for the festive season will be OFFICIALLY upon us. At the ripe age of 26, I may not be unable to fall asleep on Christmas Eve anymore (I'm sure being legally old enough to drink has something to do with that)...or wake up at 4am and clock watch until you know you won't get told to go back to bed, but I do get terrifically excited about all the little things that snowball into Christmas Day. Starting with...

1. My Old School's Christmas Market
I have been attending like it's a religious tradition since before my sister and I even attended secondary school and the last Saturday of November is still marked for the Bromley High School Christmas Fair. A mixture of independent craft stalls, the kid's corner and the infamous Bottle Tombola really kick off the festive feeling and tick a few off the present list too. Almost as legendary as our darling Head of Maths Mrs Smith who stood on stage every year promoting 'Bottle's Eve' in elf hat and shoes to collect bottled-beverage donations that would be sold for 50p raffle tickets. Where else can you get a bottle of wine for 50p??* 

*Adult supervision required, of course. 

2a) My Christmas Tree
With fierce opposition that it can be installed in the month of November, invariably the 1st of December is booked in my diary for this monumental occasion. Having moved in with my lovely man last year on 1st December itself, we had our first domestic spat around 19:28 when his idea of 'decorating' involved Dulux and a roller and mine involved baubles and tinsel. We learnt the meaning of compromise that night. 

2b) Hen's Christmas Tree
My mother has been the Queen of Decorations since I can remember. Every year it's a 5 day task to complete the house with at least two Christmas trees (one gold, one red & blue), wreaths, stairways and mantelpieces garnished with swags. I'm even heading back home specially next weekend to lend a helping hand. Cue the CD player for...

3. Michael Buble's Christmas Album
On repeat. Since early November. And it never gets old. Best moment of Festive Season '15 so far? Turning onto Oxford Street to see the lights for the first time with "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas" bellowing through my headphones. Just try to not smile. 

4. Santa Clause The Movie
It's elf-explanatory: An oldie but undeniably a goodie (thank you Dudley Moore). It is a firm favourite on the podium along with The Holiday and Home Alone. I'm glad I'm not alone in this excitement (although the DVD collection is seriously lacking in comparison) as my good friend shared this on Facebook (thank you CC):
And thank you Sky Movies for the new and welcome 'Christmas' selection that appeared mid-November. 

5. The Radio Times
Grab me a highlighter, fetch me the blanket and let's spend an hour or two scheduling the next 10 days of back to back TV entertainment. Forget about time talking to loved ones, I need to know exactly which Christmas specials I need to fall asleep in front of. Particularly excited for Downton Abbey and whatever Dickens adaptation it is this year. 

6. Turkey
I have one friend who refuses to eat turkey at any other time of the year apart from Christmas Day. That is discipline I can admire. Me? I'm first in line when Pret releases its Christmas menu. This year I've upped the ante and even made a Friday Christmas Lunch ritual amongst the team at work - we divide and conquer all of Baker Street's eateries for their Christmas specials and rank them in order of deliciousness. Thank you so far to M&S Hot Counter, Pret a Manger, Benugo and Eat. Still 3 more Friday's to go before the big T day itself.

7. Carols, Nativity, Church
A friend of mine is getting married on the 12th December (Twelve Twelve...I like it)  and has chosen Christmas Carols during their church service. Now that is just utter genius and I find myself tempted to feature them in our Order of Service despite the 1st of July wedding date. Whether you go to Church or not, you have to admit they know how to do festive well. Bring on the hilarious children's nativity, Christingle, carols and candles. 


No comments:

Post a Comment