Tuesday 10 November 2009

Fashion Distribution

Before finishing my first year of university I managed to secure a seven week placement at the fashion distributors 1927 London Ltd. They distribute high-end fashion brands internationally including Juicy Couture, Lauren Moshi, Money and See by Chloe footwear. It was a brilliant opportunity to work in a new area of the industry which directly related to the marketing module I had studied during my second semester.

My role involved working on the reception area and providing admin-support to support Alex, the office manager, through the busy sales period. I also had to work towards managing the desk alone whilst Alex took annual leave for two weeks. During my first week I was learning on the job and helping out with ad-hoc duties whilst Alex organised my training.

I was always told that work experience can be equally (if not more) beneficial when you learn which roles you would NOT like to do as much as the ones you would want to do. Whilst it took some time understanding the different departments within the company, I managed to get an overview of the logistics, purchasing, sales and accounts teams.

The Sales Dept. seemed to have the most exciting job in my opinion as it was slightly more glamorous. The sales period I witnessed was for Juicy Couture Kids & Babywear Spring/Summer 2010 as well as the introduction of the new client Lauren Moshi. In the weeks before the sales period begins, the stock arrives from the respective brands which includes the entire season’s collection. This is then steamed to look presentable and displayed either in the Library or the showroom in reception. Appointments with buyers are booked during this preparation time as well to ensure the collection is shown to a wide audience to increase its exposure and in return sales. Up to six appointments can be scheduled for one day; Rebecca took all the Lauren Moshi appointments which there were fewer of due to its exclusivity whilst Nikki, Lisa and Rosita juggled the Juicy Kidswear. Each buyer would be presented the stock, being shown which items would arrive in each delivery (the stock would typically be delivered over three dates during the season). Following the presentation, the buyers would be able to select the items they wished to purchase specifying the sizes and number of units. The orders would be written and signed during the appointment and then passed on to the purchasing & logistics department for completion.

I had an absolutely brilliant time at 1927 and made some great friends who I am still in contact with now. It was really useful to learn about the roles within distribution and see for myself the process of design, manufacture, distribution and sales come together in the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment