Monday 29 June 2009

My Summer Placement

All our lecturers have been going on about during our first year at university is building up a porfolio of experience so that we are appealing to potential employers. With a four month summer(!!), this break is the best time to do it! Experience in the industry is priceless considering the state of the economy but being a typical student, £££ was pretty much a necessity too!

To cut a long story short, an incy bit of networking later I was utilising one of my contacts who happened to be the HR Manager of a fashion distributors based in Fulham Broadway. Unlike work experience I did after my GCSEs, I am not moving around the deparments (as I had hoped) but based in a role. I am working alongside the receptionist Alex as her No.2. At every opportunity I have been chatting to people about their roles and trying to understand the different departments (sales, accounts, purchasing, customer service etc). I've been keeping a diary of what I've been doing too which should help towards the write-up for the start of Year 2 in October.

I've been here two weeks now and feeling quite settled. The people are lovely. Having done some reception-work during my gap year at a fashion recruitment company I picked up the telephone/admin skills quickly. It is not a role I feel I would like to do again as I would really like some more challenging tasks to get my head around. However, following my first year of university this placement is great for learning about a new part of the industry and making contacts!

No comments:

Post a Comment