Wednesday 7 July 2010

Visual Merchandising Trends AW10

My programme leader Tim would be so happy to know what an impact his lectures on visual awareness has had on me. Having initially been extremely overwhelmed by the mass of images we experience day-to-day, Tim made the point that as fashion marketers we have to stop letting this information go over our head and stop and acknowledge what is around us. Therefore I found myself putting down my copy of Stylist and looking out the window of the bus on my journey from Ladbroke Grove to Oxford Street. The no.23 bus wound its way through Portobello market and headed for Paddington before passing the Marble Arch and driving up the UK's busiest shopping street; the haven to all shopoholics and fashionistas, Oxford Street.

I wish the bus driver hadn't been lurching between stop and start and flooring the accelerator at any opportunity as I might grabbed some half-decent photographs to share with you. However, the key theme I picked up today is documented below:

- - - It will sound silly and you'll think, Well that's obvious but 'shopping' seems to be an umbrella trend for VM displays. Trolleys, in particular, seem to be heavily featured for once off the shop floor and in front of the window's street audience. One instance was a minimalist white stage and backdrop and in the fore-ground just two shopping trolleys placed one behind the other. Granted it was effective but I have no idea what the shop was or what in fact they sell. I know window displays are meant to catch you're eye, and that is certainly did, but aren't they supposed to lure you inside? I guess being intrigued would but those who are simply window shopping and never been to the area before might not have the same urge to follow it up...

No comments:

Post a Comment