Saturday 14 December 2013

READ THIS!!

Do not delay. Another moment cannot be lost. This book needs to be in your hands now! 

This is exactly how my friend Lizzie felt when she ordered 'Me Before You' by Jojo Moyes from Amazon. See now she's recently gone over to the dark side.. The Land of the Kindle that is. Having been my fresher friend who first introduced me to the likes of Paige Toon and Marian Keyes at university, Lizzie would often hand deliver me bundles of books which "I just HAVE to read!" Having announced my mourning that I would see the end to our unofficial book-club and  my very jammy rental service, my passionate bookworm of a friend upped the ante!

Delivered to my workplace, the delivery note read: "This is amazing. Get cracking!"

Having been in a bit of a book slump (I often have these after finishing an amazing read - I feel I need to give myself time to digest the story and jumping straight into another one would be like cheating on the last!) I did as I was told and got cracking that very day on the commute home. 

Moyes was a new author to me but her tone of voice was easily readable and the words just flowed off the page. Within the first chapter you know this is going to be a powerful story which is what elevates this book above others in its field. You get swept into the lives of a young girl who has become, rather by chance and slightly ill-prepared, the carer for a quadriplegic. You fall in love and feel every emotion on the spectrum. Buy it now. 

And if you have any reservations, I recently discovered that quite by coincidence my mother was reading this with her book club. Usually struggling with some epic biography or non-fiction textbook type read, she's always pulling all-nighters to finish the book the day before her club meets. However at a family gathering recently, you could not pull my Mum away from the pages of the book. Whenever the hosts left the room to put on the kettle or something, she would sneak back into the pages.

This is a perspective eye-opener. Get it now. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment